- Year: 1994
- Location: Cologne, Germany
The 567m long Rodenkirchen suspension bridge (main span 378m) was originally built in 1938-1940 but was later reconstructed in a contract with Landschaftsverband Rheinland, the regional government. This link into Cologne over the River Rhine had to be doubled in width without interfering with traffic flows.
Kvaerner Cleveland Bridge Limited (KCBL) won the contract in consortium with Strabag, the German heavy civil works contractor, where KCBL in joint venture with steel producers Thyssen, carried out the superstructure works. This comprised a third leg and extended portal for each tower, a third cable with new anchorage, a complete second half steel deck and the replacement of the existing prestressed concrete deck with an orthotropic steel structure.
KCBL undertook the fabrication and erection on a 50/50 basis and were responsible for all of the construction engineering, although the detail design of the new bridgework and some analysis was sublet to Rendel Palmer & Tritton of the UK.