About the project
In 2011, Cleveland Bridge were awarded a multi-million pound contract to fabricate and erect five steel bridges in Nottingham as part of the works associated with phase 2 of the Nottingham Express Transit (NET). The largest of the structures in Cleveland’s scope of work was Nottingham Station Bridge; fabricated in the company’s 27,000m2 fabrication facility in Darlington from jumbo circular hollow sections up to 711mm in diameter. With a total length of 105m its purpose was to connect the South of Queen’s Road to the current tram networks terminus, providing a new tram stop on completion.
Once transported to site, the fabricated truss bridge was assembled at ground level in twelve separate sections before being erected onto a series of high level temporary erection trestles. This work was conducted in two phases utilising a Liebherr LTM 1500 crane. In February 2013, half of the structure was erected and incrementally launched, with the remaining sections completed by April of the same year.