About the project
The Forth Road Bridge is a suspension bridge in east central Scotland. The bridge, opened in 1964, spans the Firth of Forth, connecting the capital city Edinburgh, at South Queensferry, to Fife, at North Queensferry. It replaced a centuries-old ferry service to carry vehicular traffic, cyclists, and pedestrians across the Forth, with rail crossings made by the adjacent and historic Forth Bridge.
This 1,006m main span bridge was the first major suspension bridge to be built outside the USA and the longest in Europe at its time of construction. Opened in 1964, it provided two carriageways, two cycle tracks and two footpaths. The structures design was the first to accommodate very slender legs, built in five large, vertical welded steel box sections, resulting in major savings in steelwork. Construction began in 1958 with work undertaken by the three largest construction firms in Britain at the time; Sir William Arrol, the Cleveland Bridge & Engineering Company and Dorman Long.